| Here I am at the beginning of 2013 |
This time last year, I had just finished sending off my MFA applications, and had no idea whether I'd get in anywhere, much less Iowa. I remember checking my messages on my sketchy Paris apartment wifi and hearing from my mom that I'd gotten in, and that I needed to call them ASAP. Our wifi soon cut out, and me and Nathan made our way to a movie theatre near by where we'd planned on seeing Silver Linings Playbook. We still wanted to catch the movie, but I also wanted to make this phone call before office hours were over. I stood crouching outside the Starbucks just as one of the films got out, and a crowd of loud movie-goers passed by, further obscuring our conversation. On google voice, the program director wanted to know if I had any questions about Iowa. I think I just needed time to take it all in. We were able to get seats for the movie--and it was awesome!
At the beginning of 2013, I had no idea we'd be getting married, moving to the US, travelling to Mount Rushmore, Chicago, New Orleans, and Texas, and committing to two years of studying poetry in Iowa City. Being shortlisted for the CBC prize and the Walrus prize (for both of us) came as further surprises, and bits of encouragement which is always appreciated. 2013 was also really humbling. Receiving feedback on my fiction manuscript has showed me I still have so much work ahead in terms of revising and developing my work. A recent magazine rejection cited a lack of plot as a major issue in my writing, so I'm hoping to work more on revising and less on sending things out before they're ready. So many of the agents and editors who visit the workshop remind us that there is absolutely no rush. I need to remember to enjoy the time I have to write and edit things now.
I think 2013 will be difficult to top.. we don't have any major trips planned, and I think most of the spring and fall will be spent taking classes, teaching, and writing. Still, I'm looking forward to forging ahead into the unknown!
No comments:
Post a Comment