Wednesday, February 26, 2014

where you can find me

Although I remain frozen in the polar vortex of Iowa City, segments of myself can be found online and in print:

First, there's an amazingly detailed discussion of Farwell up at Echolocation, and I'm incredibly grateful for editors Michael Prior and Laura Ritland taking the time to read the book. This is an in-depth conversation on some of the book's ideas with equal attention spent on design, poetry, and illustrations. Both me and Jonah are blown away that our chapbook found such attentive readers. I still have copies of the chapbook, if anyone wants to do a trade.

I'm also excited to be featured as an up-and-comer in the Winter 2014 issue of Arc Poetry Magazine, out on newsstands now. Poet and critic Medrie Purdham introduces two of the poems from my new manuscript, and really gets at the core of what I am trying to do, which is an incredible feeling for someone just starting out. Here's the first little bit:



"A formally experimental writer with an interest in rare poetic forms, Cassidy McFadzean explores the relationship between our concerted structures of thought and the mysterious substrata of the known world. The spirit of play animates much of her work. In journals across Canada, she has revived the Anglo-Saxon riddle, using the Old English Exeter Book as her inspiration. Her chapbook Farwell makes use of the image of the zoetrope, a device by which static pictures, spun, become moving images. The common impulse of these works is to show how structure can give way to a more intuitive way of thinking or seeing."

The other up-and-comers featured in the issue are: Kayla Czaga, Anna Yin, Ben Ladouceur, Leigh Nash, Daniel Guy Tremblay, and Sarah Pinder. Nice to be in such fine company!

Finally, I've just signed a contract for The Fiddlehead, where three poems will be published. These are poems I wrote during my Sask Arts Board emerging artist grant period last spring and I'm happy they've found a home.


1 comment: