I wrote a piece for the latest Sage Hill Newsletter viewable here. It was fun to reflect on my past experiences out at St. Michael's for the Intro course in 2009 and the poetry workshop in 2012. I'm envious of this year's participants am looking forward to the readings, which are open to the public and only a short drive away.
The newsletter also features three poems by Kevin Spenst, my fellow poetry workshopper. Kevin describes how "pens sundial / as the windows follow the gravel road," and recaptures both the silliness and magic of what happens in a workshop.
obligatory photographic nostalgia
//
Vertigo's season finale was really enjoyable. The evening had a mix of poetry by myself and Pearl Pirie, spoken word by Regina's slam poetry 2013 team, music by Tyler Gilbert, and an incredible excerpt from a non-fiction essay by Evie Ruddy-- a piece I can't wait to read in its finished state. Tara Dawn Soldheim hosted the night and had me laughing a few times with her commentary. I sold a few books, got to see Vertigo's fancy new signage, and even won a raffle bag of books. I understand Vertigo is looking for readers for next season..
Pearl Pirie has some photos of the night here.
//
I was up late watching the end of senator Wendy Davis' filibuster--which lasted nearly 12 hours-- in the Texas State House to prevent a vote that would severely restrict women's access to abortion and constitutional rights. Davis stood in pink Nikes and could not lean, eat, drink, or stop speaking for the duration of her filibuster. After a lengthy discussion on germaneness and points of order (debatable), Davis' filibuster was halted. Then something incredible happened. The galleries--filled with men and women of all ages-- began cheering, roaring, screaming for a sustained fifteen minutes. The people's voices literally continued the filibuster, preventing order in the house and effectively halting the vote on the bill until after midnight. Over 150,000 people watched via a live stream. Someone instagrammed an elderly woman being arrested. Another tweeted a screencap of Davis announcing the bill had been defeated. I closed my MacBook, inspired by Davis, the thunderous sound of women's voices, and senator Leticia Van de Putte who, after being ignored, stated: "at what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be heard over the male colleagues in the room?" Wow.
The newsletter also features three poems by Kevin Spenst, my fellow poetry workshopper. Kevin describes how "pens sundial / as the windows follow the gravel road," and recaptures both the silliness and magic of what happens in a workshop.
obligatory photographic nostalgia
//
Vertigo's season finale was really enjoyable. The evening had a mix of poetry by myself and Pearl Pirie, spoken word by Regina's slam poetry 2013 team, music by Tyler Gilbert, and an incredible excerpt from a non-fiction essay by Evie Ruddy-- a piece I can't wait to read in its finished state. Tara Dawn Soldheim hosted the night and had me laughing a few times with her commentary. I sold a few books, got to see Vertigo's fancy new signage, and even won a raffle bag of books. I understand Vertigo is looking for readers for next season..
Pearl Pirie has some photos of the night here.
//
I was up late watching the end of senator Wendy Davis' filibuster--which lasted nearly 12 hours-- in the Texas State House to prevent a vote that would severely restrict women's access to abortion and constitutional rights. Davis stood in pink Nikes and could not lean, eat, drink, or stop speaking for the duration of her filibuster. After a lengthy discussion on germaneness and points of order (debatable), Davis' filibuster was halted. Then something incredible happened. The galleries--filled with men and women of all ages-- began cheering, roaring, screaming for a sustained fifteen minutes. The people's voices literally continued the filibuster, preventing order in the house and effectively halting the vote on the bill until after midnight. Over 150,000 people watched via a live stream. Someone instagrammed an elderly woman being arrested. Another tweeted a screencap of Davis announcing the bill had been defeated. I closed my MacBook, inspired by Davis, the thunderous sound of women's voices, and senator Leticia Van de Putte who, after being ignored, stated: "at what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be heard over the male colleagues in the room?" Wow.

I was up until 3 am, couldn't stay awake any longer.It's been a long, hard week in the US; I hope this means something, in the long run.
ReplyDelete