Wednesday, September 19, 2012

redux

I've been revising some stories from my honours project two years ago. The first draft of these stories date back to 2009 when I did the SWG Mentorship program. I haven't touched them in a year or so.

I wonder why I feel this renewed interest in stories I had laid aside? It is more than not wanting to let go or admit failure. I'm finding new ways to make the story "work," like shifting from first-person to third-person, and taking a closer look at one story told from a child's perspective (which is done so often it needs to be done well). I've found myself thinking about these characters throughout the day, wondering about them. So I've been cutting paragraphs and revising.

I'm starting to think this is just part of the natural writing process for me. Maybe I am reaching the realization I am a very slow writer. I think academia gives a lot of pressure to "finish" a story by the end of the four-month semester. Now that I'm outside university, I'm able to look at what a story needs, give it that attention, and feel okay with waiting months, even years (!) to consider it "finished."

In other news, if anyone is interested in getting a copy of my self-published riddlehoard chapbook from 2011, I will be selling copies at the True Knit Craft Fair this Saturday at the Multi-Purpose Room in the Riddell Center (U of R). I will also have mini-notebooks designed by my brother. I will be teaming up with my cousin Christine, who is selling prints of her amazing artwork. This will likely be the last time I'm selling these books except on eBay ten years from now... (ha). I think I'm mainly excited to see all the cool jewellery and creations made by so many talented artists!

Get your Halloween shopping done early this year, people!


No comments:

Post a Comment