Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20, 2012

A week or so ago I finally submitted my thesis to my committee, which is nerveracking... I'm hoping to hear back soon so I can address whatever changes they suggest. I've already started having thesis nightmares, (which I've heard about from other MA students). This one last night was about checking my email and receiving negative comments back from a prof I really respect. Fairly innocuous, but I am starting to get nervous every time I get a new email.

I did hear back about one project... I'm excited to announce that this fall JackPine will be publishing a chapbook me and my brother Jonah created. The book is called Farwell and consists of poems and illustrations exploring time spent in Revelstoke, BC during our childhood as well as the history of the area. Over the next little while, we will work on a final prototype and then creating the final version.

On a note of sadness, Nathan's great-aunt and dear friend Marj passed away a week ago. I am writing about it here because I think Marj is an amazing role model for young women writers. Marj attended university in a time when not many women went onto pursue post secondary education. She was also the first female reporter for the Victoria Times-Colonist when many men went away to war. Throughout her life, Marj kept journals and maintained a curiosity for the world. She was known for her strong opinions (she and I clashed over a few social issues!) and a questioning of the world around her. I am glad I got the chance to meet her. I have fond memories discussing Jane Eyre with Marj and visiting her recently when she talked about everything from the politics of World War II to her time running a tea house atop Sulfur Mountain. Marj inspires me to live with passion and with curiosity.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I was hoping to submit to Jack Pine in October! Great minds think alike :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations again! Looking forward to your chapbook.

    Sorry for your loss. Sounds like she was an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete