Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I am taking a class on "fragments"

or "the whole broken Thing" which I consider a perfect title after reading an essay by Frank Kermode where he suggests fragment cannot be understood without thinking of wholeness.

*



So far we read Sappho and Anne Carson's translations of Sappho and talked about the syntax of Ancient Greek, which none of us understood though one classmate was able to read Greek aloud. He did so, twice.

*

Every week, everyone's work is photocopied and placed in cubbies in the basement of the workshop so everyone is able to read what everyone else has turned in that week. It is exciting.

*

I took a poem I had written and put it through the washing machine. After it had been in the water for a few minutes it was completely shredded. I let it dry, and peeled it out of the washer with tweezers.

*

Lately most of the poems I've been writing are fairly narrative-based or seem to offer ideas that the reader can follow in a fairly linear fashion (although one reference to a Selena Gomez song went unnoticed).

*

I put the poem "Ozymandias" in the washing machine next, this time on delicate cycle.

*

I have some interest in artifacts that are lost to history, removed from their original context, or otherwise fragmented by time and distance.

*

I separated the shredded pieces and made two piles: fragments that contained no letters and were blank, and fragments that contained letters or maybe even a full word. I laid out this second pile onto a blank sheet of paper to form a new poem.

*

Some of the poems in the workshop packets are not very narrative-based and do not seem to be interested in conceptual coherence, but rather things like sound and associative connections.
*

I took a picture of the poem-fragments in a tupperware container and posted it on Facebook. It got 16 Likes.

*

On the drive to Iowa me and Nathan listened to an interview with Ange Mlinko where she talks about the rhyming we are familiar with, which occurs mainly in sound, and then a second conceptual rhyming which occurs on the level of ideas.

*

It was more difficult to make a new poem out of the shredded pieces of Ozymandias than my own.

*

I am nearly done a pretty complete draft of a fiction project that might be a collection or linked stories or a fragmented novel told in the voices of various speakers. The writing became more fun once I stopped worrying about how to categorize it.

*

These Tupperwares of shredded poems, I think, will sit in my living room until I need the containers for other things like leftovers or sandwiches.


No comments:

Post a Comment