Saturday, August 31, 2013

I am taking three classes

one is called Paranormalities. This week's assignment is to write a magic alphabet poem. We read Rimbaud and Jack Spicer. I started an alliterative abecedarian charm to ward off evil. I needed it when biking through the cemetery at night with Nathan. We wanted to see the Black Angel, which was very black, and had lopsided wings. Further on, I mistook a statue of a little girl in a rocking chair for a seated police officer. Both notions were equally frightening. The only requirement in Paranormalities is to attend the Metaphysical Fair at the Johnson County Fairgrounds. It costs five dollars to get in.

Next semester a fiction instructor is teaching a course on Moby Dick. Nathan has recently finished Moby Dick and I am going to start it at Christmas. I am teaching one class, a poetry writing workshop. So far it is fun and not stressful, though my stipend is a little smaller than I expected. I am an international student, so I had to take a course on American Culture. I learned that sometimes when people say "we should have coffee" they do not literally mean to set a date in which to see you. Being international also means I am required to buy health insurance. I am going to start reading poetry submissions for The Iowa Review.

Today is the first football game of the season. I can already hear a man yelling outside. I am thinking of not leaving the apartment. We live very close to the fraternities. I almost ran over a dead squirrel biking home in the dark. My apartment is in a basement of a house which I did not like at first because there was a spider and centipede in the bathroom. When the temperature rose to 100 degrees and humid, I was glad to be under the earth where it is cooler. And eventually the spider killed the centipede and then Nathan killed the spider, and I haven't seen another bug of equal size.

I made a friend who owns numerous sets of tarot cards. She lives near The Haunted Bookshop. We are thinking of having a seance. I met a poet from Ireland who had dinner with Seamus Heaney last Christmas. Reading Heaney's poems over, I see all sorts of ghosts I did not notice before. I am going to read "A Dog Was Crying To-night In Wicklow Also" to my class on Wednesday night.  I just learned there is going to be an animal communicator at the Metaphysical Fair.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog Cassidy, it's quite inspiring to see how far you have gone in your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete