Sunday, March 24, 2013
some thoughts from vienna
There's been so much happening these past few months that sometimes it's been difficult to look ahead, while other times I've felt scattered and unfocused on the present. My trip has found me in berlin, krakow, prague, nuremberg-- cities filled with so much history that they seem the physical embodiments of being pulled in two directions. Pictures and thoughts on visiting these places can be found at nathanandcassidy.tumblr.com
Early in the trip I found myself drafting a lot of poems, which has slowed a bit now that we're moving place to place so quickly. I'm looking forward to my independent artist grant beginning in May, when I'll settle into writing a new manuscript. On the publishing front, some of my riddle poems can be found in the new issue of Vallum magazine. Vallum is a Montreal-based journal which I'm really excited to appear in. This issue is magic-themed-- I hope to find some trickery within!
I've also been doing a lot of reading. Nathan pointed me in the direction of the hilarious George Saunders' Tenth of December. These stories are disturbing, funny, and insanely well-crafted. I've just started Rilke's Notebooks of Malte Brigge, which are proving relevant to my surroundings-- Brigge spends a number of pages describing the unicorn tapestries at Cluny in Paris. I've also re-read L.M. Montgomery's Anne series, with new appreciation for Montgomery's wisdom and irony. As I read so many great books I'm inspired by the many different ways and forms storytelling can take.
In an earlier post I wrote a little about applying for MFA programs, and I now know the results of most of these. In January I was rejected by program after program-- some really amazing schools that would have been great to attend. The first weeks of February did not bring much better news and I started imagining alternate plans for next fall. Then mid February I received word that the University of Iowa wanted me to come study poetry with them. I've hoped to attend Iowa for many years and was thrilled to get such good news! This was followed by more rejections, but also fiction acceptances at a few schools. It was very difficult to choose a program--and a genre to focus on-- but I have decided to study at Iowa next fall.
I'm hoping for a relaxing last month of my trip before heading home. There's a few readings--by myself and friends-- coming up in Regina. I'll post about these when I get the info.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Enjoy these travels, C.
ReplyDelete