Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dec 5, 2012

Exciting: my book's available to purchase online now.  Thanks to everyone who got one and I hope you enjoy it!

Some of my recent reads:

The Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore.

Solaris by Stanisław Lem

currently reading Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

and next is Jennifer Egan A Visit from the Goon Squad.

Half of these are recommendations from my little brother. The classes he's taking in university seem a lot more fun than some of the ones I took. All my electives were taken up by philosophy courses, and not courses on American Lit and Sci-Fi, like he's taking.

The Gate at the Stairs was my own pick. I'm a huge fan of Lorrie Moore's short fiction and while I enjoyed the novel (especially for its humour), I think I still prefer her stories.

Black Swan Green
is really amazing so far too. I wanted to read it after reading this article by David Mitchell, where he talks about growing up with a stammer. I think Mitchell really treats his young protagonist with empathy and and humour. The writing is wonderfully vivid and there's a bit of mystery, as well. After this book, and the Egan, I'm very much looking forward to reading Cloud Atlas since I enjoyed the movie so much!

Hope everyone out there is finding time to read some good books in between exams, and holiday activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment