Thursday, December 1, 2011

Book haul

In the past couple days I've been reading the collected stories of Amy Hempel, which I'm finding amazing. Here's an interview with her that I'll put on the blog so I can read it later.

Then I picked up the new Arc Poetry annual, poet vs. poet issue. Featuring hilarious poem by Jeramy Dodds, article by Aislinn Hunter about competition in poetry, and some interesting looking interviews.

After reading Lorrie Moore's "People like that are the only People Here" in our class, and being emotionally destroyed by it, I decided to buy two of her books: Self-Help and Birds of America. I'm feeling in a short story mood.

Then I picked up Paul Muldoon's Moy Sand and Gravel. Mostly for Nathan.

Today was the last class of our fiction writing course. It was also the last class of my Masters degree... After I hand in my final portfolio for fiction class, all I'll have is thesis work left. I also found out I'm not able to TA next semester (or work at all), so I'm a bit nervous about going insane with all this time on my hands.

I go through periods where I read nothing for months, and then times where I ingest everything in sight. I'm hoping these next few months I will get a lot of reading done, especially with creative writing class absent from my life!


[And remember when I blogged about McGimpsey's new book Lil Bastard? He's got a poem up on The Walrus, which Starnino calls "perhaps the most moving poem" in the collection (I'm inclined to agree).]

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to be reading Amy Hempel's stories over the Christmas holidays hopefully! Also, you might want to let Nils know that you can't TA. He seems to be under the impression that you will be....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing scares me. Next year I will be writing my thesis. I am doing everything I can to be able to focus on it (i.e. not working). I am excited about this project. At the same time I am afraid to feel isolated. I really liked our creative writing class in good part because we could discuss in and out of class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's make a group that meets once a month or something.

    ReplyDelete