Class today was so much fun. I laughed a lot during, and afterwards.
I am always nervous and excited to get my stories workshopped. Today in the minutes leading up to my workshop, I felt anxiety, the familiar nervousness in my stomach like before I have to give a paper at a conference, or give a lecture in some random 100-level class full of texting students.
But once the workshop began, I just enjoyed it. I enjoyed everyone's comments and insights. Sometimes working on a story for days or weeks, you think you have everything figured out. People were noticing things in the story that I hadn't thought about at all. That's an amazing feeling because it reminds you that a story is more than just what the writer puts on the page; it belongs to the reader too. I feel grateful because I know this is one of the only times I will have a room full of careful readers giving commentary on my work.
And the free-write we did at the end of class was just hilarious. I discovered that Courtney and I are basically the same person, haha. This entry's title is a paraphrase from the paper that got passed over to us... there was more comedic gold where that came from but I don't want to plagiarize the Authors of that Work.
Tonight I feel grateful for the creative writing program at the U of R. Without even realizing it, and probably because I only have one class this semester while I work on my thesis, I've fallen into a routine of writing creatively almost every day. This is what the MA program has given me-- a greater love of words, and the time to work with them.
I would encourage the Honours students in the class to think about pursuing another 1.5- 2 years for a creative writing degree. The program involves 3 academic courses, 2 writing workshops, and working one-on-one with a professor on a full-length manuscript of fiction or poetry. In your last year, you have time and space to simply read, write, and maybe laugh a bit too!
Like, thanks for the capitals. I guess collaboration totally suits David and me, fer shur. You think like the university would like let us collaborate on an MA project? That would be seriously, totally bitchin. Like, as if
ReplyDeleteI don't know who any of you are!
ReplyDelete