Last year, I began taking workshops to get me back into performing improv. With that workshop ensemble, I performed the occasional show with Combat Improv in Regina. Tonight, I am performing my first show as part of Combat's regular ensemble, and I am incredibly excited!
One of the reasons I wanted to get back into improvised theatre is that I've found it really helps me with my writing. Many improv games emphasize structure, which is an important element to my fiction and poetry. Whether short form games, or longer formats, watching and performing improv helps me think about stories in a different way. Some of the best improv I've seen in Regina performed by the General Fools and other groups utilize a narrator who performs monologues that inspire shorter scenes. The monologue can illuminate scenes that occur in the past or future, which add to the development of a story as a whole.
Other improv shows I've seen utilize a fragmented structure wherein meaning is derived from the juxtaposition between scenes, character's interactions, and exploration of themes. Watching an improv show where this structure of fragmentation and juxtaposition works well can be incredibly inspiring to my writing. At the same time, I know these performers are mainly interested in telling a good story, making interesting connections, and interacting with one another as complex characters. So while it can be difficult to think of these larger structures while performing an individual scene myself, I've found that improv helps me to live in the moment, listen carefully to what others are saying to me, and respond as honestly as I can.
Mostly though, I just seem to giggle through every scene I am in... I get to work with some really funny people!
Combat improv is a monthly show at the Exchange in Regina. It starts at 9 PM and costs 5 dollars, if anyone wants to check it out.
No comments:
Post a Comment