Last night I saw the movie "Drive" starring Ryan Gosling and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn. It was so amazing! I loved the imagery and the feel. I loved the soundtrack. I went home and bought it off itunes which I never do. I liked that it was conscious about playing with the genre, but not to the detriment of the story. What I mean is sometimes characters in movies say lines that they would never really say, but say them because they are self-reflective about the fact they're playing a role in a particularly genre of movies. In "Drive," Gosling's character had some lines that carried this weight, but I think they worked because the character was someone who had watched too many films. It was also very subtle. There were existential elements and stuff I could talk about, but what I liked the most was that the movie told a good story.
This is something I want to strive for in my fiction. I want to tell a good story. I want the form to help me tell a good story. I don't want the form to overwhelm the story. Though it did make me think... it is too bad books can't have soundtracks or come to life in the same way movies can. They do stuff in different ways... but I just really want to make a car chase happen, you know?
I've always been interesting in writing in different genres. I'd like to write a series of fantasy books, or a really good western book. I want to write sci-fi and children's literature. I want to tell good stories.
I found "Drive" very inspirational.

No comments:
Post a Comment