Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sage Hill

Tonight I went down to Sage Hill to see AF Moritz read some poems and hear John Lent give the keynote address, in honour of Robert Kroetsch.

I didn't realize until tonight how much John's words have influenced my writing. Two summers ago, when I took the intro course taught by John and Susan Stenson, I first heard the words "spatial form." Hearing John talk about the transition from modernism to postmodernism in Canadian literature--seeing his passion for literature-- it felt like somebody understood me and what I wanted to say. It felt like I understood for the first time exactly what I could do with language.

I didn't realize until now just how much of the past two years since Sage Hill has been influenced by spatial form, ideas of fragmentation and juxtaposition. I presented a paper on spatial form for a graduate conference here in Regina. My honours project explored juxtaposition and fragmentation in the short story. I experimented in a long poem with ideas of simultanaety. Notions of multiplicity have influenced the way I read, and I honestly didn't realize how much until hearing John speak about them again. This whole time it's been an unconscious influence, an invisible guide helping me discover what kind of writer I want to be, what books I am drawn to read, what type of things I want to say.

I felt a sense of home as I listened to John speak tonight. I felt rejuvenated tonight, as though I'm back on track, back remembering what I love about literature. There is so much love and warmth at Sage Hill. It was great to see old friends and meet new ones. Generosity is a word that kept coming up. It's unbelievable how generous so many writers are to emerging writers. I wouldn't feel able to even think of myself as a writer without the encouragement of so many teachers and friends.

John talked a lot about Robert Kroetsch tonight. I never met him but I'm glad to read have one conversation John shared with Robert, and recorded in the book Abundance.

Here is a quote from Robert Kroetsch found on page 56 of that book:

"In the great journey stories you need a guide. You can't do it on your own. Even in The Divine Comedy, Dante has to meet Virgil. All of these stories are about meeting a guide who will take you to where you can make the discovery. You can't do it on your own. We are guided by somebody and we in turn become guides."

No comments:

Post a Comment