While in Vancouver a bunch of stuff was stolen out of our car. I know you should never leave valuables in your car, but we were starving, couldn't find a hotel, and weren't thinking logically. The car was a mess with all our luggage dumped on the floor so it was difficult to tell what had been taken. Both of my bags were missing including my passport, all my clothes, all my chargers for computer, phone, etc. A couple hours after speaking with the security guards and driving around aimlessly trying to take inventory of what I would have to replace, I received a phone call from an employee at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. I learned that one of the bags had been apparently found in front of the theatre. We rushed down to find the duffel bag containing my clothes had been returned. But the culprits had also included things from the other bag that they hadn't wanted: my passport (thankfully!), contact lenses, and the last five copies of my chapbook. I was happy to get these items returned to me, and I wondered what was going through the minds of these men or women as they rifled through my belongings. Perhaps they flipped through the passport and noticed that they had taken my clothes and makeup on April 30, my birthday. Maybe they imagined some poor girl wandering around Vancouver without her contact lenses. Or maybe they were overwhelmed with frustration in trying to figure out the answers to my riddles.....
In any case, I think it's hilarious they returned the books!!
No comments:
Post a Comment